Despite the challenges that we faced in 2020, and continue to face, QEGS Senior Phase library continued to support pupils and encourage them to engage with reading.
Before the Christmas break, the library held two festive challenges for pupils in Year 7, 8 and 9. The first, an Accelerated Reader quiz challenge, saw 7SIR and 8FAM crowned champions for the most quizzes completed in the final week of term. The second challenge, to simply return the most amount of overdue books, was won by 7SIR, 8STG and 9MDG. Each winning group received a big box of chocolates to say well done from Senior Phase Librarian, Mrs Dewhurst.
Earlier in the term, Year 8 Pupil Librarians also received their Bronze Awards by completing their training through a range of tasks, including:
- Virtual presentation for Roald Dahl Day
- Promoted the library catalogue to their peers, including Click & Collect
- Virtual Presentation for National Poetry Day
- Promoted Accelerated Reader to their peers
- Organisation of our fiction and non-fiction stock
- An opportunity to take part in the Science Book Prize
- Dewey sorting activity
- Role play and dealing with library scenarios
- An opportunity to take part in a special library project of their choice
- Helping with the book fair arrival of new books
- Helping to decorate the library Christmas tree
Pupils received a gift, certificate, bookmark and a sweet treat for their hard work and will now move on to the Silver award in this Lent term.
Finally, we recognise the Accelerated Reader Award winners in Year 7 and 8, who have all received a certificate and badge for their hard work:
Reading Millionaires – Year 7
- Ismaeel Nazir (over 2 million words!)
- Aidan Cunliffe
- Ameera Yasif
- Ayan Zulfiqar
- Zaimah Uddin
- Hanshika Sriananthan
STAR Readers – Year 7
- Ibrahim Ali
- Amelia Shigri
- Faheem Iqbal
STAR Readers – Year 8
- Ben Bailey
We look forward to another excellent term in QEGS Senior Phase Library!