Physical Education GCSE

Physical Education GCSE


The GCSE Physical Education course is entirely separate from the compulsory practical Physical Education and Games lessons taken by all pupils in Years 10 & 11. This new course introduced in September 2016 is noticeably more demanding and challenging than before. The AQA specification aims to improve the pupils’ knowledge and understanding about physical activity as well as providing them with the opportunity to demonstrate sporting excellence in a limited range of recognised sports.


The content is designed to enable pupils to enjoy and understand the benefits of living a healthy and active lifestyle, to provide a route to Further Education at QEGS in the form of A level Physical Education & Sport, and then eventually to Higher Education at University where career-related opportunities will develop. It can be sub divided into a number of inter-related yet discrete topics within the course:

  • Health, fitness and a healthy active lifestyle to include training programmes and diet
  • Interpretation of simple mathematical data to include graphs & charts
  • Cultural and social factors
  • Factors relating to sport psychology to include emotional health & well being
  • Elementary biomechanical principles relating to sport
  • The practical role of performer only
  • How individual differences influence performance
  • Equality & inequality within sport
  • International and other factors

Theoretical modules will be taught by specialists from within the Physical Education department. Topics include, amongst others, basic anatomy and physiology, socio-contemporary issues influencing sport, diet and nutrition, principles of training, fitness, and safe practice in sport. Some timetabled lessons are practical in nature where you will be assessed in a limited range of practical sporting activities. All pupils will be required to swim.

How will I be assessed?

Pupils will undertake a focussed practical course in which each pupil’s practical sporting ability as a performer only will be assessed (40% of total examination mark). There is an element of controlled assessment linking in the practical work that is internally marked and externally moderated. The remaining 60% of the marks can be gained in the final examination. Pupils should only consider GCSE Physical Education if they represent the school or a club in at least two recognised sporting activities: one ‘team’ activity, the other ‘individual’.  

What can a GCSE in Physical Education lead to?

GCSE Physical Education is an ideal course for pupils who may be considering a future career in sport or who have a genuine interest in playing and learning about sport. The next rung up the academic ladder will be to continue your study via the A level ‘Physical Education’ route at QEGS. That decision is for another time. Whatever you decide, the world of sport is an exciting and rewarding place to be and you could become part of it. From physiotherapy to sports coaching, opportunities for a career in a sport-related discipline have never been greater. Come and join us if you think you are good enough!

Dr ME Butler
Head of Physical Education and Games









Miss SJ McCreadie
Head of Girls’ Games, Head of Year 11