Wednesday, 14th March 2018
Dear Parents and Carers,
We would like to remind parents that pupils must only bring healthy snacks in to school. Essentially we are aiming for snacks that are both filling and sustain their energy levels throughout the morning. We urge parents to check labels to ensure that there is no added sugar in their child’s snacks. They are, of course, not allowed sweets, crisps or chocolates.
Some examples of suitable snacks are:-
- 100% fruit snacks with no added sugar/ preservatives, for example http://www.bearnibbles.co.uk/paws or something similar for older children;
- fruit (whole), for example a banana or apple, or a chopped up medley of fruit. Grapes must be chopped lengthways;
- dried fruit;
- a selection of chopped vegetables, perhaps with a small amount of cheese;
- yoghurts, again with no added sugar, for example http://www.thecollectivedairy.com/the-collective-kids/;
- a wholemeal bread sandwich or tortilla wrap with a filling such as tuna, chicken or cheese. Please note that Nutella and jam are not considered healthy fillings.
We strongly recommend that children bring a named water bottle to school, preferably with a sports cap to avoid any accidental spills. Bottles must contain still water only.
We also insist that children do not bring in nuts or snacks containing nuts, due to their potential to cause a severe allergic reaction in some pupils. Unsuitable snacks will be returned to parents at the end of the day.
Miss H Singleton
Deputy Head of Primary